Gingerroot is a key player in anti-inflammatory diet. Save for adding a chunk to the blender or juicer, how do I include it as part of a dish? Curry is my default choice but I would much rather eat it raw to preserve as much nutrients as possible. Yesterday I came across Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato with Pecans & Maple in his first cookbook. His use of minced gingerroot in the vinaigrette inspired me to create my own version. I rejigged the proportion to feature a lot more ginger, a lot more herbs, a lot less sweet, a lot less oily, and a little bit more spicy. The result? I absolutely love my Herb & Ginger Roasted Sweet Potato!
First, that tingly warmth from gingerroot was unmistakable. Although there was not much pecan in the dish, the richness of these nuts contributed plenty to the taste. Smoked paprika and red pepper flakes added a bit more heat but it was nicely balanced out by the smidgen of maple syrup and of course the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes. This dish isn’t just wholesomely good. I would proudly serve it when I have company over.
Herb & Ginger Roasted Sweet Potato
adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi
- 900g sweet potato, scrubbed, peeled if you want, cut into 1-inch dices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Aleppo pepper which is even more lovely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Spread sweet potato on prepared pan and season with salt and pepper. Bake in 400F oven until tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- In the mean time, put pecan halves in a single layer on a small baking pan. Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes until fragrant. Let cool and roughly chop.
- Toss parsley, cilantro, green onion, pecan, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk together olive oil, sherry vinegar, maple syrup, gingerroot, cinnamon, and smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, toss with herb mixture in mixing bowl with dressing. Serve immediately or room temperature.