- 350g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 30g cake flour
- 40g corn starch
- 40g milk, room temperature
- 3 egg yolks
- 40g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 40g sugar
- a pinch of salt
- lemon juice from half a lemon
- 3 egg whites
- 100g sugar
- Line a 7"x3" round cake pan with parchment. Preheat oven to 300F. Boil water for bain marie.
- Using the paddle, beat cream cheese with mixer until smooth at medium speed.
- Add egg yolks one by one to cream cheese. Make sure each is totally incorporated before adding the next.
- Slowly drizzle in melted butter.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Gently mix in sifted flour and corn starch. You may want to using low speed instead.
- Add milk and salt and lemon juice. The batter should be runny and loose. Place aside.
- With a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar until it reaches glossy soft peak.
- Lighten cream cheese mixture with one third of the egg whites. Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Fill cake pan with batter. Place cake pan in roasting pan and fill roasting pan with boiling water until water reaches half of the height of the cake pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes until the surface is golden brown and knife inserted to center comes out clean.